Dear Pitzer Student Community,
The Bon Appétit Management Company and the Pitzer Dining Hall Staff team is looking forward to serving fresh, cooked-from-scratch meals you at McConnell, the Pit Stop, and the Shakedown this semester. We recognize that after a year and a half of COVID-19 and the uncertainty surrounding the Delta variant, many of you may have concerns about dining in public spaces. It’s our job to ensure that each of you feels welcome and safe when you dine with us, and that you receive delicious meals that meet your dietary needs. While this communication is long, we want you to know what to expect when you dine with us in the coming weeks, and hopefully address any concerns you may have.
Fall Dining Planning
• Please know, as Dining Staff have not been in the kitchen for more than a year, on top of the COVID environment and new renovations, we are working out a lot of kinks. We thank you for your patience during this time as we get back into the groove of things.
• For the Fall semester, Pitzer students will only be allowed in the Dining Hall. You will be required to show your ID each time you enter the area. This will help with contact tracing, and to ensure outside guests are not entering an area that is created specifically for you as a student. For the first few weeks, faculty and staff will not be allowed into the space. Once things settle down, there will be new consideration to slowly allow different parts of the Pitzer community to participate in our traditional activities.
• All this information (and more) can be found on our website: https://pitzer.cafebonappetit.com/
What’s New in Dining at Pitzer? (And How to Navigate It)
McConnell has a fresh new look, including new lighting, paint, and floors! We’ve also made program and service changes at McConnell, Pit Stop and Shakedown. These changes include:
McConnell Dining Hall
• A new drink station, deli bar, and dessert line.
• Digital signage with QR codes so you can get menu information conveniently via your mobile device.
Pit Stop and Shakedown
• Digital signage displaying the menu will be outside at both locations, allowing you to view the menu before you step inside. At Pit Stop we’ve also added digital signage inside.
• In the event that stronger social distancing restrictions are put into place, order and pick up windows have been added in both locations for fast, safe service.
• Meal replacements will be available, so you can tap for a to-go meal.
What Are We Doing to Keep You Safe?
• If you do not feel comfortable dining in the dining hall, we are providing free reusable green boxes and cups for you to use in the outdoor seating areas.
o Each student will have credit for one green box and one green cup on their account. Please turn in the cup/box after each use for a new one or to put the box/cup credit back on your account.
• Masks are required at all times, unless you are seated and eating.
• Hand sanitizer stations have been added to the dining area.
• Disposable gloves are now available at each self-service station and we are changing service utensils every 30 minutes.
• Reduced-touch beverage dispensers will be coming soon to the drink station.
• Dining tables are sanitized with Oxivir (a fast-acting disinfectant) after each service. Please do not move tables in the dining hall as they are currently set-up to provide distance between tables/diners for safety.
• All reusable dishware and green boxes are sanitized through our high temperature commercial dish machine providing a completely sanitized surface free of micro-organisms.
o You may also purchase a disposable to go box for $0.75 and a disposable cup for $0.50
o Pitzer has recently set up several of these outdoor areas with new furniture.
o In order to maintain social distancing and ease café congestion, re-entry to the dining hall will not be permitted at this time. (Green boxes/cups may be returned at the cashier station the next time you visit the dining hall).
• Water bottle refill stations are located on the first and third floor of McConnell, along with various places throughout campus. These offer a safe, touch-free option for hydration. Please do not refill water bottles in the dining hall.
• For safety and space reasons, skateboards, scooters, and bikes are no longer allowed in the dining hall. However, there are new racks where you may lock them up located at Holden Parking lot and Chung Field.
• We ask that you not move the Dining Hall tables; this will help with social distancing and our staff from having to constantly reset the space.
• Bon Appétit/Pitzer Dining Hall employees:
– Wear masks at all times and gloves any time when preparing or serving food.
– Have received COVID-19-specific training designed by sanitation experts, which is updated regularly as new issues emerge. Topics covered include proper sanitation, the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), physical distancing protocols, and have been integrated with food safety and sanitation protocols.
– Do pre-shift wellness screenings in alignment with local regulations and the Healthy Pitzer program, which includes daily interview questions.
What to Expect During the Next Few Days at Pitzer: Hours of Operation and Types of Service
The academic year meal plan begins with brunch on Saturday, August 28 at McConnell Dining Hall. The Pit Stop and Shakedown open Monday, August 30. We have updated our hours and service in order to offer as much access to food as possible and meet the needs of students with different schedules.
McConnell Hours of Operation – Open Saturday, August 28th
Please note, the hours of operation listed below are for Fall only.
• Saturdays and Sundays: Brunch 10:30am – 1:30pm, Dinner 5:00pm – 7:30pm
• Monday to Friday: We will have a form of continuous dining with McConnell open from 7:00am – 7:30pm. Please remember, you have 3 meal taps available per day. This means, if you come in for breakfast at 8:00am, you cannot tap for breakfast again at 10:00am.
Breakfast: 7:00am – 9:30am Continental: 9:30am – 11:00 am (cold food only)
Lunch: 11:00am – 2:00pm
Mid Service: 2:00pm – 5:00pm (cold food only)
Dinner: 5:00pm – 7:30pm
Boxed Meal Program – Beginning Monday, August 30th
For those who have activities at other campuses during the day, we will have a boxed meal program available Monday to Friday 7:00am – 10:30am.
• Pre-order: https://pzforms.pitzer.edu/dining-services/box-lunches/
• Or, on the day of, you can tell the cashier you want lunch and dinner, and you can tap for those meals at the cashier.
• You will be given a token to take to the grill and pick what foods you would like for the meal (an entrée, side, dessert, and drink).
• If you need the items to stay cold for up to 6 hours, you will check out an insulated bag (just like you check out the green boxes), and our cook will pack it for you with ice packs.
Pit Stop and Shakedown Hours of Operation – Open Monday, August 30
Meal Taps are available at both locations through the Meal Equivalency program. Or students may use their flex dollars or Claremont Cash to order individual items.
• Pit Stop: Monday to Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm
• Shakedown: Open 7 days per week 4:00pm – 11:00pm
Want to know our daily hours and what’s on the menu?
Sign up for Menu Mail here
Meal Plan information can be found here.
Students can change their meal plan by emailing [email protected] up until Sunday, September 5th. After that date, no changes can be made.
We recognize this is a lot of information to process. If you have questions or concerns about dining with us please contact me directly or speak to any manager in the dining hall. We are always happy to discuss your concerns. Throughout the year, we welcome any and all feedback. Visit our website https://pitzer.cafebonappetit.com/ and scroll to the bottom to “Tell Us What You Think,” and leave a comment.
Tonian Morbitt, General Manager
office 909.607.8491 | cell 714.797.7678 or [email protected]