This recipe reinvents a traditional comfort food to be higher in fiber, stress-reducing nutrients, and flavor.Serves 4-6
- 2 1/2 cups dry whole wheat pasta noodles (macaroni, rigatoni, elbow, or spiral)
- 2 cups sweet potato (about 1 medium), peeled and chopped
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup (5 ounces) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (2-3 ounces) grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups chopped dark leafy greens, such as spinach or chard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Cook pasta in boiling water for 5 -7 minutes (pasta should be slightly firm, or al dente). Drain and set aside.
- Steam sweet potato until tender, about 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool for 2 minutes and then blend in food processor with 1/4 cup milk until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss cheeses together in small bowl and set aside.
- . In a large oven-proof pot, sauté garlic with butter over medium-high heat until garlic has softened, about 2-3 minutes. Whisk in flour, turn heat down to medium and cook for another 1-2 minutes (stirring constantly), and then slowly incorporate remaining 3/4 cup milk. Cook for a few minutes until mixture begins to thicken, remove from heat, and add sweet potato. Mix until well incorporated then stir in pasta, chopped greens, spices, and 1 cup of cheese mixture.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese on top has browned.