Tofu is a great vehicle for the spicy and nutty flavor of this peanut sauce in addition to being an excellent source of plant based protein.
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu, cut into strips a little less than 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup smooth, unsalted, natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or grapeseed oil
- Lay out tofu strips in a single layer on a paper towel or clean dish towel. Put another clean paper towel or dish towel on top and pat well all over to remove surface moisture.
- Make the peanut sauce by placing peanut butter and vinegar into a bowl and mashing with a fork until thoroughly mixed. Whisk in honey, soy sauce, and chili flakes until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet or sauté pan over high heat. When pan is hot, add 2 tablespoons vegetable, grapeseed, or other oil with a high smoke point. Make sure oil is covering pan and add tofu in a single layer, with room between each piece.
- Cook tofu on one side until golden brown, about 2 3 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for about another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and serve warm with peanut sauce available for dipping or toss with stir fried vegetables and serve over brown rice with peanut sauce drizzle for a complete meal.