Redefine this rustic root vegetable and enhance its deep and flavorful characteristics by slow cooking with herbs.Serves 6-8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2 x 2-inch pieces
- 1-2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 x 2-inch pieces (optional, for color)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add oil, parsnips, and carrots (if using) and sauté, stirring constantly until lightly browned, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add broth and 2 tablespoons sage and lower heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, up to 20 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to high, and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon of sage on top for garnish.