A delicious Mediterranean side dish with Middle Eastern undertones.
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur wheat, rinsed and drained (pre-cook bulgur to save time)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped or 1 (14oz) can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Grated cheese, feta, or plain yogurt for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil over medium in large saucepan. Add onion and garlic,cook until tender, approx. 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini and tomatoes. Cover and cook on medium-low for 10 minutes.
- Stir in broth, bulgur, turmeric, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat then simmer on medium-low until bulgur is tender and liquid is almost completely absorbed (for uncooked bulgur, about 15 minutes; for cooked bulgur, about 5 minutes).Remove from heat and let sit, covered, about 10 minutes.
- Serve topped with grated cheese, feta, or plain yogurt (optional).